This is possibly the poshest/most pretentious salad I’ve ever invented. But it’s really tasty!
Quinoa is – unlike other pulses – a complete protein. It’s also rich in iron and fibre so it’s really good for you and a nice veggie option.
1/3 mug quinoa
a handful of kumquats
a handful of cherry tomatoes
about 10cm of cucumber (or one small Lebanese cucumber)
a few leaves romaine lettuce
For the dressing:
1 tablespoon tahini
juice of half a lemon
- Pre-heat the oven to 140C/285F/gas mark 1. Cut tomatoes and place cut-side up on a baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper. Bake for around 90 minutes. You can add sugar and salt or balsamic vinegar but I think their flavour is good enough on its own.
- While the tomatoes are baking, rinse the quinoa well and put in a saucepan with double the amount of cold water. Add a little salt (and half a stock cube if you like), put the lid on and boil for 10-15 mins – the grains should lose their opacity but don’t over-cook or the quinoa will become gummy. Once cooked, fluff with a fork and leave to cool.
- Finely slice the lettuce and cube the cucumber.
- Slice the kumquats finely being careful to remove any pips
- Combine all these ingredients together in a bowl and mix well.
- Slice the aubergine lengthways and drizzle with olive oil. Grill on a hot griddle pan until soft and smokey.
- For the dressing, combine ingredients and shake well. Drizzle over the top and serve.